Hey friends and fellow POTSies…
Are you thinking about IV saline for your Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome symptoms? Do you have friends that get IV fluids and have you interested in taking the first step? Do you want to know how IV fluids can help POTS? Well, if you said yes to any of these, this post is for you! I am on the journey myself, and I thought I would share the process.
2010 marked the first year I had heard that IV fluids could be of help to someone who has POTS; a researcher that was presenting at the EDNF EDS Learning Conference spoke of her success with fluids and immediately I was interested. Unfortunately, my doctor wasn’t. She said, with a stern face, “No way.” I just let it be, as I had other things I was focusing on at the time, and forgot about it for about a year. Then I started my search into how exactly I could go about getting IV saline, and it turned out to be a long battle that is slowly resolving — and, I might be on the saline train soon!
The quick summary: fluids can increase your blood volume, trick your body into thinking there is more blood, then your body stops freaking out and you feel better. Simple as that.
Here is all of the info I could gather to help you in your journey, or so you can follow along with me and see if it works before trying it yourself. I am happy to be your medical guinea pig (though, I am a willing participant and would never actually encourage testing on a little rodent)!
My two recommendations:
- Watch my video.
- Read POTSgrrl’s guide on POTS and IV Saline. Seriously, her blog post will be your most useful tool, providing you info to bring with you to your doctor.
Information you might find useful:
- “POTSgrrl’s Guide to the Galaxy”, or rather, her awesomely informative post on “Talking to Your Doctor about IV Saline for POTS”
- DINET forum thread with some good info
- Clinical trial showing IV Saline to be a great treatment for POTS
- Clinical trial showing increased blood volume via IV Saline helpful for POTS
- Management of POTS posted by NIH
Enjoy and good luck!